Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What NOT to Say to A Woman Going Through Infertility

It is hard to know what someone is going through unless you have experienced the same situation. Everyone wants to be helpful and show they care, but sometimes the things people say hurt more than help. The following are some things that have been said to me and some I've read about others experiencing. 

1. "Oh, you're still young. It will happen." 
This has been said to me many times. I am young, but it doesn't feel like it when I have friends who are on their second child. 

2. "My (insert name) adopted a baby, and then one year later, boom, she was pregnant."
I guess adoption is the cure for infertility. 

3. "At least you can have fun trying." 
There is NOTHING fun about having timed sex for 3 years! Doesn't matter if you are in the mood, if you miss the "prime time" you've lost the opportunity for that cycle. 

4. "As soon as you stop trying, you will get pregnant."
It is not something you can just "turn off".

5. "You want kids?  Please, take mine."
Someone offered their 17 year old son to Michael yesterday.

6."Just relax, it will happen."
Really? I guess I've been uptight for 3 years. 

7. "Have you tried acupuncture, medication, standing on your head after sex, etc.?"
We've tried all that and more. I'm not going to share the more.   :)

8. "There are worse things that could happen."
No one has ever said this to me, but it is one I struggle with personally. There are so many people/things I'm fortunate to have in my life that I sometimes feel like I'm being selfish to focus my attention on the fact that I haven't been able to have a baby.

We, woman who struggle with infertility, know you are trying to help comfort us. We just want you to listen to us vent and give us the emotional support we need. 


No comments:

Post a Comment