Tuesday, March 15, 2011

It's About Time

I've been injected so many times with several different drugs, taken pills, given blood, had ultrasounds, and been through test after test and finally Michael has to do something. I'm not saying I want him to have to go through anything, but it is funny how the woman has to go through most of the infertility process and the man gets to show up one time with his "donation". 

A few weeks ago when we met with our doctor for a consult about IVF we walked in the building and Michael said, "I'm so sick of this place." My response was "You are?" It has been my second home. I think my car could drive there on auto pilot. I know exactly how long it takes to get there for 8am labs and then how long to get to school.

Michael had to give blood last week to check for HIV, Hepatitis, and Rubella...they all came back negative. He also has to take a antibiotic called Doxycycline. This antibiotic is given to the male partner during the wife's stimulation cycle to reduce the low levels of bacteria that may be found in the semen and which may compromise the performance of the sperm during an IVF cycle. It is also given to the female partner to reduce the risk of infection following aspiration of the follicles at the time of egg retrieval. If you read carefully you noticed I have to take it too. 

At least only one of us has to go through all the testing and medications because it would be too expensive for both of us and keeping track of schedules would be hard. We are both going through the emotional aspect of it and I couldn't ask for a better man to be going through the journey with!!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment